Here are all the light oils for low porosity hair that work magically. After a month or 2 of usage, you will notice a clear difference.
Are you tired of applying natural oils or your mother’s remedies on your hair, but it gives no result? Trust me; no one understands your pain more than me. Having low porosity hair myself, I know the struggle. Even after applying half of the coconut oil bottle on my hair, they always stayed dry and frizzy. After a lot of disappointments, I was told by a friend to check my hair type and check which specific oil I should be using.
After digging through the internet and trying out some tests to check my hair type, I realized I have low porosity hair. And that is how I found out the best remedy for my hair care. In this article, I listed all the light oils that work magically on your hair. After a month or 2 of usage, you will notice a clear difference in your hair. So without further ado, let’s explore this magic.
Top Oils For Low Porosity Hair
1. Argan oil
The best oil for low porosity oil that I will recommend to every person with this air type is Argan oil. It is the most effective oil ever for your low porosity oil. The argan oil is the rarest to find as the Argan trees grow in rare locations. It comes from Morocco and is called “Morrocan Oil” for this reason.
Argan oil consists of carotenoids. Vitamin E, phytosterols, 80% unsaturated fatty acids, polyphenols, and ferulic acid. With all these great ingredients, it is a nutritious packed oil that gives your hair the right amount of moisture, care, and health. Argan oil is best known for its moisturizing powers.
Apply this oil to your hair and rub it and massage through your hair and scalp. Argan oil forms a protective layer around the hair and gives it moisture. The oil gets absorbed in your scalp and hair follicles, and after washing the oil off, you will feel the difference.
All in all, argan oil has all the essential ingredients that prove best for low porosity hair. It can be used in several ways to treat your hair. You can use it in serums, hair masks, shampoo, and conditioners. You can get salon-like hair treatment sitting at home.
2. Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil is an oil extracted from the jojoba seed that originates from the North American Continent. Jojoba oil is best for low prosperity hair. It is an affordable oil that can give your hair a shiny, healthy outlook sitting at home.
It reduces grease out of your hair and protects it from split ends. With perfectly moisturizing hair, it prevents your scalp from dandruff. A dandruff-free scalp means no hair loss. It contains Vitamin E, which ensures excellent scalp health.
It is the best option for low porosity hair because it seals moisture in your hair without making them look greasy and sticky. Moreover, the exceptional quality found in jojoba oil is that it is similar to the natural oil that our bodies produce. The jojoba oil prevents hair loss and unclogs the hair follicles, which promotes hair growth.
In short, jojoba oil has all the qualities through which you can achieve perfect, shiny, and healthy hair. It is a non-greasy, lightweight oil that seals moisture in your hair and keeps it healthy, dandruff-free and shiny all over. The best choice for low porosity hair.
3. Baobab oil
Next on the list, we have the organic, 100% unrefined Baobab oil. Baobab oil originally comes from Africa. Due to its incredible softening and moisturizing power, it is also an excellent choice for low porosity hair. It not only moisturizes the roots of your hair but leaves them soft and glowing after applying it.
Simply massage it on your hair and leave it for 1 or 2 hours to use this oil. After washing your hair, you can notice the difference immediately. Apart from applying it directly to your hair, you can use this oil in different hair masks or hair remedies to get effective results.
The best point that I like about Baobab oil is that it contains omega 3, omega 6, and omega 9 fatty acids, which are rare. We all know what benefits these unique ingredients hold for hair. These fatty acids promote hair growth and prevent hair loss.
In conclusion, baobab oil gives perfect results when applied to hair. You can have several treatments at home with this oil to get strong and luscious hair. It moisturizes, softens, and strengthens your hair. Just apply it once a week and have the healthiest hair ever.
4. Pomegranate Oil
Next, we have pomegranate seed oil. Lightweight oil that absorbs easily in the skin and moisturizes it perfectly. The pomegranate oil is extracted from pomegranate seed oil. This oil is 100% organic and natural, which assures 100% results.
Pomegranate oil concentration is very high; that is why it is used in a small amount, and it perfectly absorbs in your scalp. Apart from moisturizing quality, pomegranate oil contains punicic acid, vitamin C, linoleic acid, flavonoids, and oleic acid, which increases blood flow.
Increased blood flow in the scalp promotes hair growth. A little hot oil treatment once a week can give you shiny, thick, and glowy hair in a month. As it is lightweight, it is highly recommended for low porosity hair. You can apply it on your hair and your face and have both glowing face and hair overnight.
This natural pomegranate seed oil is another best option you will find in the market for your low porosity hair. I recommend this too; it promotes hair growth, increases blood flow, is lightweight, and is medium penetrative oil that moisturizes your hair to the fullest.
5. Sweet Almond Oil
The magic sweet almond oil that does wonders for your skin is no less beneficial for your hair. A bottle of sweet almond oil can give you such perfect, healthy hair that you will cherish for your life. It is extracted from almond nuts by cold pressing.
The organic and natural sweet almond oil, when applied to hair, leaves the hair soft and glowing. Sweet almond oil contains magic ingredients like Vitamin A, Vitamin E, proteins, potassium and zinc, oleic acid, linoleic acid, stearic acid, and palmitic acid.
The special Linoleic acid is the key ingredient that makes this oil the best for low porosity hair. Linolic acid helps in sealing the moisture in the hair. Sweet almond oil mixes with other oil like jojoba oil and grapeseed oil easily. You can mix these oil and apply on your hair for incredible results.
If you have low porosity hair with dry strands, split ends, and a brittle appearance, get this oil and make your hair soft, smooth, and shiny. Sweet almond oil removes frizz from your hair and softens them, too, as it is known as a natural hair softener.
6. Grapeseed Oil
Grapeseed oil that is extracted from the grapeseed is known for restoring your hair’s shine and vibrancy. This light oil easily absorbs in your hair and seals the moisture, thus giving back the shine and vibrancy to your hair when they are damaged.
You will find many high-end hairstyling oil brands using this as an ingredient in their products. It is because grapeseed oil is used as a strengthener too. It forms a protective layer around your hair and protects it from heat and chemicals.
Natural grapeseed oil is the ultimate best one for low porosity hair. Especially if you have thin hair, this one is best. It is light and does not weigh down or sit on your hair. Grapeseed oil is loaded with vitamins A, E, and K, making it perfect for your hair care and protection.
Grapeseed is the best pick for low porosity hair, especially for thin and fragile hair. It seeps into your scalp and promotes the growth of your hair. The grapeseed oil strengthens your hair and protects the hair from heat. The other plus point about this oil is that it is odorless and is a great pick for odor-sensitive people.
7. Avocado Oil
Next on our list is avocado oil. Avocado oil has a little thick consistency as compared to other light oils. Avocado oil stimulates blood flow in the scalp. Avocado oil unclogs the hair follicles and promotes healthy hair growth. It keeps your hair hydrated.
It penetrates deeply into the scalp and moisturizes your scalp, which keeps your hair soft and strong. This avocado oil is hexane-free and natural. Although avocado oil is of thick consistency, it does not give a greasy or sticky effect. It does not leave any oily residue on your hair.
Avocado oil is unrefined and rich in nutrients that stimulate hair growth, give silky, shiny hair, and leave a calming, soothing effect on your scalp. Moreover, it does not have any synthetic irritating fragrance, so if you are sensitive to fragrance, this one is rightly made for you.
In conclusion, Avocado oil has all the qualities that prove best for low porosity hair. It is cruelty-free, hexane-free, unrefined, and deeply penetrates the scalp. The avocado oil provides full nourishment to the scalp and roots of your hair.
8. Sunflower Seed Oil
Oil extracted from sunflower seed is known for its amazing traits. The sunflower oil is a light oil that quickly absorbs in low porosity hair and promotes hair strength and glows. The sunflower oil leaves a sheen glow in your hair that reflects a rich, healthy appearance on your hair.
Sunflower oil is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin E, which are antioxidants. The sunflower oil helps fight the bacteria and prevents it from building up on the scalp hence providing a healthy scalp. It leaves the scalp dry and fresh after washing off the sunflower oil, leaving no oily residue.
The biggest advantage of sunflower oil for hair is that it contains oleic acid. Oleic acid prevents the hair from breakage and promotes hair growth. Suppose you find your hair thinning or you are having balding spots on your head. Sunflower oil is here at your rescue.
In short, sunflower oil is an old remedy that always works for hair. It proves its ability every time you use it on your hair. It leaves the hair smooth, shiny, and sleek. The sunflower oil works as a natural conditioner that also helps your hair in frizz control.
What To Know Before Buying Oil For Low Porosity Hair
It is essential to do your homework before buying anything. Everyone in their teenage years must have applied every other oil that comes their way, thinking that it will work fine on their hair without knowing that every hair has its own qualities and traits. Not every oil gives the right moisture and cares for every type of hair. I myself got to know very late in my life that olive oil or coconut oil wasn’t working for my hair. It wasn’t enough for my hair. No matter how much or how many ways I applied it to my hair, it showed no result. Then after some research, I got to know that my hair has low porosity.
What is Low Porosity Hair?
Low porosity means that your hair structure does not allow the oil or any moisture to get absorbed into your hair. The cuticles of low porosity hair are tightly bound together, leaving no space to absorb any moisture. That is why your hair is dry, flaky, and brittle, no matter how much almond or coconut oil you apply to it. It is very hard to gain moisture in your hair with low porosity, but not all hopes are drowned. For every problem, there is a solution; we just have to do a little search for it.
How To Know You Have Low Porosity Hair
To test the porosity of your hair, you do not need to go to any laboratory. A simple and quick hack you can try at home and find out about your hair. All you need is a glass filled with water. Take a strand of your hair and drop it in a glass of water. If your hair sinks in water after a second or two, that means you have high porosity hair. But if the hair takes a little longer before sinking in water or if it doesn’t sink at all and floats on top of the glass, that means you most likely have low porosity hair.
Apart from this quick test, you can also notice other very obvious characteristics. For example, low porosity hair takes longer to get wet or to dry. When you wash low porosity hair, it takes an hour to air dry them. Even with an air dryer, it takes longer than expected.
Similarly, it takes longer to get wet because of its low absorbing quality. It absorbs water slowly. The other thing which you will notice in low porosity hair is that it doesn’t absorb any product applied to it. If you apply oil to your hair even after hours, you can feel the oil sticking out from your hair. It doesn’t absorb completely in your hair. If you touch your hair, you will feel the oil getting on your fingers and sitting on your hair.
Now, most people do not know about this. I myself was very reluctant to give any attention to this particular detail of the hair. I always thought that all hairs are the same. Some are thick and some thin, but they all have the same structure. You too will find it very helpful. Once you find out about your hair porosity, it is easy to get oil to treat them the way it deserves.
What To Know About Oils For Low Porosity Hair
After finding out about your hair type that they are low porosity, the next step is to get the right oil for your hair, and that is our target. The most important thing to know about low porosity hair is to use light oil.
What Is Light Oil?
As the name suggests, light oil is lightweight and absorbs quickly in hair. That is why they are the only oil that will work for low porosity hair. They seep in the hair easily and do not weigh them down. Lightweight oil provides the perfect blend of shine, healthiness, moisture, and glow to your hair. That is why always know to go for a light oil for your low porosity hair to treat them better.
All the oils listed above are light. Any of them will give perfect results on your hair. Remember that heavy oils are of no help to low porosity hair. The low porosity hair doesn’t absorb heavy oil, so they just sit on your hair and give no benefit. The list of heavy oils contains coconut oil, castor oil, and olive oil.
After reading this, you will know why it is important to get yourself familiar with all the knowledge about your hair and the products you are using on them. Because without knowing, if you apply products on your hair to get them better, they remain the same flaky, rough, and dry. It doesn’t only waste your money but effort and time as well.
How do you keep low porosity hair moisturized?
The best way to moisturize your low porosity hair is to use light oils. Apart from oiling, use a shampoo and deep cleanser with humectants like glycerin or honey. It is a moisturizing agent found in lotions, shampoos, and conditioners that keep your hair moisturized for a longer time.
Is coconut oil bad for low porosity hair?
Coconut oil is best for high porosity hair as it is heavy oil and can seep into hair cuticles of high porosity hair. However, for low porosity hair, the hair’s cuticles are tightly packed, allowing a little space for any moisture to absorb in the hair. That is why coconut oil does not absorbs into the low porosity hair hence give no results.
Wrapping It Up
Dealing with low porosity hair might be difficult, but you can manage them well by giving it a little time and hard work. After reading this article, I hope you know what low porosity hair is and what exact oil you need to take care of your hair. Out of the 8 oils that are listed above, I personally love the Argan oil the most. It is the most effective oil for low porosity hair that promotes healthy hair and scalp.
Take a look at these oil for low porosity hair from Amazon also:
- Curl-nourishing coconut milk hair conditioner
- MOISTURIZE and NOURISH LOCKS: This 13-fluid ounce bottle of Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture + Coconut Milk Curl Conditioner helps hydrate and nourish curls for a healthy-looking glow and shine
- CURLY HAIR CARE: Ideal for wavy to tight curls, the hydrating conditioner is suitable for daily use and safe for use on color-treated hair to help detangle curls and restore strands without buildup
- UNIQUE BLEND WITH ALOE VERA: The rich blend of this nourishing vegan conditioner contains 100% aloe vera as the first ingredient along with coconut milk, guava extracts and mango butter
- NOT ALL MOISTURE IS THE SAME: The gentle and nourishing formula of this sulfate-free surfactant moisturizing conditioner is vegan, free from silicones, parabens and mineral oil and contains no synthetic dyes
- 4 fl oz of Aunt Jackie's Repair My Hair - Argan
- Natural hair growth oil blend revives and conditions chronically dry hair and scalp
- Anti-breakage formula improves hair's overall health
- Prevents and corrects damage and breakage. Treats thinning and shedding
- Enriched with Jamaican black castor
- Ideal for Dry, Thin Hair - This rich blend of oils will keep dry, thin and low-porosity hair soft and supple, without weighing it down. It’s perfect for thick, high-porosity 3C hair, too.
- Great as Finishing Oil - Lock-in moisture and add sheen to loose hairstyles, and use as a take-down oil for twists and braids for smooth, frizz-free definition.
- Nourishing Ingredients - Contains a blend of 100% pure coconut oil for slip and lubricity, omega-rich green tea oil and our ancient miracle ingredient, castor oil.
- Moisturizing Castor Oil - Used for centuries and is perfect for afro textured hair and acts as a thickening agent and conditioner. It naturally draws moisture to the hair, locking it in and preventing moisture loss.
- No mineral oil, petroleum, proteins, lanolin, silicones, artificial fragrances, dyes or parabens. 100% vegan.
- CANTU TEA TREE & JOJOBA HAIR & SCALP OIL is great for weaves, extensions and braids.
- REVEALS HEALTHIER HAIR: Made with pure Shea butter, tea tree and jojoba oil to replace vital oils revealing stronger, healthier hair with a natural shine while conditioning the scalp.
- ENCOURAGES GROWTH: Conditions and soothes the scalp while moisturizing strands and promoting healthy growth.
- Natural Body Oil For Soft Skin & Improved Complexion – If you’re looking for an almond body oil for dry skin, you’ve found it. Our Sweet Almond Oil nourishes skin naturally, embracing you with skin-loving vitamin E and nutrient-rich fatty acids to lock-in moisture. You can also use almond oil for hair and nails, adding a few drops to your DIY serums, eye creams, or apply directly to your nails and cuticles for a burst of natural, plant-based nourishment. In fact, daily use of almond oil has been
- Fast-Absorbing & Non-Greasy Sweet Almond Oil – Sweet almond oil for skin (aka aceite de almendras) is one of the most essential body oils for women. Whether you use it as an unscented body oil for dry skin, or a daily moisturizing skin oil after a shower or bath, pure Sweet Almond Oil is clean, light, and won’t clog pores. It glides on easily, leaving skin smooth and glowing, never greasy.
- Sweet Almond Carrier Oil Perfect For Diy Beauty Blends – Pure almond oil makes the perfect carrier oil for essential oils. Use it to make a natural almond oil lotion, a pregnancy almond massage oil, a moisturizing body oil, hydrating face oil serum, or a clean and nourishing makeup remover.
- 100% Natural & Unscented Sweet Almond Oil – Unlike other brands made from bitter almonds, our oil is expeller-pressed from the almonds of the sweet almond tree. It’s non-GMO, allergen and hexane-free, and has no added fragrance or synthetic ingredients. It’s one of nature’s most perfect natural oils for skincare, ideal for sensitive skin, or anyone on a clean-beauty mission.
- A Little Goes A Long Way – Because of its purity and naturally light and delicate texture, our sweet almond oil 16 oz glides on super smooth, and one bottle lasts a long time. Each bottle comes with a push-top cap to prevent spills and wastage.
- RESTORE: Restores the function of dry and damaged hair with the help of all-natural botanical extracts and amino acids.
- HAIR TYPE: Formulated for use with all hair types
- DIRECTIONS: After shampooing, apply to clean damp hair. Let the treatment sit for up to 15 minutes for intense treatment.
- FEEL GOOD: Derived from an Amazonian palm fruit, babassu oil contains high concentrations of sterols and tocopherols to moisturize and improve the hair and scalp. Enriched with fatty acids, natural oils, as well as complex amino acids from wheat and soy, to give your hair the extra care it deserves. Feel the tingle? It’s working!
- ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Made with natural and organic ingredients, contains no harmful chemicals or preservatives.
- Deeply Moisturize
- Deeply Nourish and Revitalize
- Strengthen From root to tip
- Detangle Very Well
- Soften & Smooth Hair
- 8 fl oz of Aunt Jackie's Kids E-Blast Vitamin E & Flaxseed Nourishing Scalp Remedy
- Daily use oil elixir treats dry scalp while helps improve overally root health
- Nourishment for hair braids, locs, twists, coils and helps to alleviate flaking and chronically dry, irritated scalp
- Enriched with coconut oil, shea butter and extra virgin olive oil
- Proudly made in the USA
- Contains: 1 x 16 oz. bottle of USDA Organic, cold-pressed, 100% pure Castor Oil by Sky Organics.
- 100% Pure and Cold-pressed: Sky Organics 100% pure, unrefined Castor Oil contains no added ingredients, fragrance, alcohols, or preservatives.
- Moisturizing Oil for All Hair Types: Organic Castor Oil is a natural source of fatty acids that nourish and moisturize the scalp and support healthy hair.
- Conditions Lashes and Brows: Support beautiful, fuller looking lashes and brows by using Organic Castor Oil as a natural eyelash and eyebrow serum.
- Responsibly Made: Our Organic Castor Oil is responsibly sourced, USDA certified Organic, and 100% vegan and cruelty-free.